Technology

Making Waves

So far today has been enjoyable, until around noon when someone texted me with a url pointing to nu.nl, showing an article about the Data Protection Authority telling me it is forbidden for employers to use wearables to track their employees (also on tweakers.net). The research the article points to is actually two companies that run my dashboards. Before I get into details, let me state the following: The privacy of an employee is of utmost importance!

Privacy & Gracefully revealing depth

Just a couple of days ago I read a post from Atlassian explaining some new features, but the most interesting aspect was that they explore gracefully revealing depth. To me this same concept can also be applied to privacy, ethics and more problems. Even though it’s about functionality, the same can be applied to complexity. As we are faced with interesting problems about privacy and ethics, would the way of gracefully revealing complexity work for making the right choices or settings the right parameters?

Sous-vide food with a rice cooker

This has been on my tinker-list for around 4 years, and I’ve finally got around doing it. I made a little temperature controlled relay to my rice-cooker which enables me to use it as a sous-vide apparatus. That’s wonderful, because it’s now easier to prepare meat, and most importantly, eat 67 °C eggs. So how did I do it? I bought a really cheap PID from DealExtreme, and with some help of Martin Deen I had everything set up.

Gradual Privacy for personal data

In the past few months I’ve been building more and more dashboards for clients. The idea of collecting personal data however always raises questions about privacy. To solve this, I’ve been developing a way to implement gradual privacy. Gradual privacy is a way to let the end-user decide who can see what data. The best way to explain, is just to show it:

The columns are the kind of data.

My server got hacked, this is what I did

On friday evening local time (GMT+1) around 21:00 hours my server got hacked, it’s CPU immediately shot up towards 100% and my provider removed the box from it’s hypervisor node around 18 hours later. Just a few minutes later I got a call from a friend who uses one of my developed applications that it doesn’t seem to work anymore. After trying SSH-ing into the server (which failed), I logged on to the dashboard for managing my VPS, looking at the CPU usage: